Even though you may have no plans to move to Windows Server 2012 at release, this will impact all Windows Server purchases made after General Release.
Summary of planned changes:
- All server licensing is changing to the per Processor model (no more “per server” licensing)
- They are eliminating the “Enterprise” edition (the only difference between the remaining editions of Standard or Datacenter will be how they license virtual OSEs…functionality between editions will be exactly the same).
- Each license will cover 2 processors on the same device. Existing licenses with Software Assurance will convert as follows:
- Microsoft Windows Server Datacenter – 2 licenses will convert to a single Datacenter license
- Microsoft Windows Server Enterprise – 1 license will convert to two Standard licenses
- Microsoft Windows Server Standard – 1 license will convert to one Standard license
As always, if you need help or simply want to discuss this further let me know – I know Microsoft licensing (particularly when it changes) can be confusing…I’m happy to help explain it.
Please note, these changes are “planned” – by the time General Release occurs there could be more changes as the licensing terms are not set until release.